Surrendering to God
If God wants my friendship why does He demand my surrender?
We are born with a tendency toward evil that hinders and even prevents our friendship with God. Isaiah 59:1,2.
How do I surrender?
Our destiny hangs upon our choices. It is specifically determined by the following five choices. If you make the right choice here everything blessed is certain. If you fail in one of these choices misery and harm is your lot. All is up to you. Remember, Satan will fight you at each choice.
- Be honest with yourself and God
- Hebrews 13:18
- Acts 5:3, 4
- 1 John 1:9
- Proverbs 28:13
- When we see God, we realise our deficiency. "Humanity, with its weakness and sin, was brought in contrast with the perfection of divinity, and he [Peter] felt altogether deficient and unholy. Thus it has been with all who have been granted a view of God's greatness and majesty." DA 246 Romans 2:4
- Romans 7:7-13, 15, 19, 21-24
- Remember, God is always open, frank, above board, and honest with you.
- When we are honest with God, we must admit that we think and treat ourselves and others harmfully. This hinders our friendship with God. But all of this harm can be removed. 2 Corinthians 7:8-11.
- Trust, expect
- Once we have admitted our harmfulness, we need to expect God to remove it as we asked Him to do. Proverbs 28:13 1 John 1:9 Hebrews 11:6 John 3:16
- Remember God is anxious to remove all sin from you. There is nothing He would rather do. Isaiah 49:14-16 Luke 15:11-32
- Surrender, wrestle
- Surrender is conversion. 2 Kings 5:1,9-15
- Prayer will bring surrender. Matthew 26:36-42 Hebrews 5:5-9
- We can only serve one Master; the question is our priorities. Matthew 6:24, 31-33
- The power of choice is ours. Deuteronomy 30:15-20 Joshua 24:15 Psalm 37:5 1 Kings 18:21
- Endure, persevere
- 1 Timothy 4:13, 15-16.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.
- Matthew 10:22.
- 1 Peter 4:12-14.
- Romans 8:18.
- Hebrews 12:5-11.
- Psalm 116: 12 & 17 Colossians 3:15 Psalm 107:15
What does surrender accomplish?
- Makes us children of God (The experience of Naaman in 2 Kings 5 shows this well.) Romans 8:14,15 John 1:12
- Obedience Romans 5:1 & 8:1-4
- Peace Psalm 119:165
- Prosperity Proverbs 28:20
- Trial Hebrews 12:5-11
- Allies all heaven with us Romans 8:32
How often is surrender necessary?
- Every day 1 Corinthians 15:31. Compare Galatians 2:20.
- Every time I learn something new which I do not want to do.
Am I bad?
"Not only intellectual but spiritual power, a perception of right, a desire for goodness, exists in every heart. But against these principles there is struggling an antagonistic power…. There is in his [man's] nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, he cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in his inmost soul he accepts as alone worthy, he can find help in but one power. That power is Christ. Co-operation with that power is man's greatest need." Education p.29